9,461 earn degrees stateside; More than 3,100 to attend three ceremonies at Comcast Center
ADELPHI, Md. (May 7, 2014)—University of Maryland University College celebrates its 2014 stateside commencement with three ceremonies at the Comcast Center in College Park on May 17-18. Of the 9,461 stateside graduates in the Class of 2014, more than 3,100 will attend the three ceremonies.
- U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings (Maryland 7th District) will deliver the commencement address at the 9:30 a.m. ceremony on Saturday, May 17.
- U.S. Rep. Steny Hoyer (Maryland 5th District) will deliver the commencement address at the 4 p.m. ceremony on Saturday, May 17.
- Major General Roderick J. (Rod) Isler, U.S. Army (Ret.) will deliver the commencement address and will receive an honorary degree at the 4 p.m. ceremony on Sun., May 18.
Media covering commencement must contact Bob Ludwig (contact info above) and/or must check in at Gate B of the Comcast Center at least a half-hour before the start of the ceremony.
Profile of the UMUC stateside Class of 2014:
- 1,346 graduates are active-duty military servicemembers.
- 1,028 graduates earned degrees in cybersecurity-related programs.
- 777 will graduate with Honors (Magna Cum Laude, Summa Cum Laude, Cum Laude).
- Graduates represent all 50 states, the District of Columbia and 19 countries.
UMUC enrolls about 90,000 students around the world, including more than 50,000 students who are active duty military personnel and their families overseas. In addition to the three stateside ceremonies on May 17-18, the University conducts official commencement ceremonies in Okinawa (April 19) and Tokyo (April 12), Japan, Seoul, South Korea (April 26), Kaiserslautern, Germany (May 3), and Guam (May 17). Overall, more than 11,000 UMUC degrees were conferred around the world.
Check out messages, photos and stories from UMUC graduates on Facebook and follow the conversation on Twitter using #UMUCGrad