University of Maryland University College Arts Program opens its 2019 exhibition season with the Maryland High School Juried Art Exhibition, the premier visual arts competition for students across the state. The show, featuring works in all mediums, provides students the opportunity to enhance their classroom learning while celebrating their artistic achievement.
The exhibition will showcase approximately 55 pieces chosen by jurors from more than 100 submissions of original artwork in painting, sculpture, drawing, printmaking, fiber, glass, ceramics, wood, metal, photography, graphic design, and mixed media.
Along with prize ribbons, cash awards—shared by the winning artists and their schools—will be presented to the top three winners at the exhibition opening on Sunday, Feb. 17, and winners will be on hand to discuss their works and answer questions.
In addition, the first-place winning artwork will be featured on a poster and widely distributed to schools throughout Maryland. It also will be showcased on the UMUC Arts Program website along with photos of the artist and the artist’s teacher.
- Joan Bevelaqua, artist and collegiate professor, UMUC
- Christopher Harrington, artist and chair, Department of Fine Arts, University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- Preston Sampson, artist
- $5,000 ($1,000 to the student, $4,000 to the school arts program or to the general operating fund if there is no arts program)
- Poster of the award-winning artwork distributed to Maryland schools
- $2,500 ($500 to the student, $2,000 to the school)
- $1,000 ($250 to the student, $750 to the school)
Fourth- and Fifth-place winners receive Red Ribbon recognition on their artwork during the run of the exhibition.
EXHIBITION DATES: Feb. 17–April 28, 2019
UMUC Arts Program Gallery, Lower Level
University of Maryland University College
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783 | Directions
For more information about the Maryland High School Juried Art Exhibition visit the UMUC Arts Program website.